Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Tararua Day trip - 11/06

Last post 10-06-2011, 10:28 PM by achim. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-06-2011, 10:30 AM 5947

Tararua Day trip - 11/06

Cool,
    We have a day trip around Tararuas somewhere this Saturday...
    So far, the weather doesn't look that great, therefore I will keep a couple of plans on...

Plan A - Kapakapanui loop:
    This is a 5-6 hour walk starting from Ngatiwana road (Waikanae area) cruising up to Kapakapanui hut going up to Kapakapanui top (or peek or mountain or whatever they call :] ) following the track. (see link)
    This is the plan for bad weather as we will be mostly below the bush line.

kapakapanui map 

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gcZy18cebORh483oSj1PuNnqlNcdyvlMtKltbd0ffzI?feat=directlink

Plan B - Waiopehu loop:
    Waiopehu loop starts from Poads road (Levin area) crossing a bit of farm land, going up on Gable end Ridge to Waiopehu top (or peek or mountain or whatever they call :] ) back to the hut and down to the car park. This track would take a bit longer the plan A but it's much nicer. It would be around 4 hours up to the junction, another hour to the hut, stop there to eat something, and 3 hours back to the car park. (see link)
    This is the average/good weather trip. We will be up on the tops for a little while but it would be fine under bad weather too.

waiopehu map

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IEKuAE0Ldv-YMMQRYEO_t9nqlNcdyvlMtKltbd0ffzI?feat=directlink

There is a plan C that is also nice but not in Tararuas.
    Plan C - Mt. Matthews
    This would a trip as nice as Waiopehu loop but slightly shorter (around 6-7 hours) and it's a shorter drive to get there.
    From Orongorongo area, we follow the Orongorongo track up to Orongorongo river, up the ridge to Mt Matthews. (see link)
    This is also a good weather trip like Waiopehu loop.

mt matthew 

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/F6LjuXZZlp6mJPQqt3zRFdnqlNcdyvlMtKltbd0ffzI?feat=directlink

Either way, this will be a light pack trip. Essential gear is required thought.
    - Rain coat
    - Torch
    - Spare of warm clothes (polyprop top and tights or something similar.)
    - Quick Snacks to have during the walk (nuts, muesli bars, chocolate…)
    - Lunch (whatever you want but prepare before hand as we might not have too much time to stop for lunch if weather is not great.)
    - Water

A spare set of clothes to change when get back to the car might be a good idea too but it’s not vital.

As I said, the weather doesn’t look great Saturday and Sunday but it looks good for Monday and Tuesday. Monday/Tuesday good weather might shift to Saturday/Sunday but we never know.
    We should be @ hunter’s car part @ 8AM on Saturday and leave as soon as possible. We can stop on the way for some shopping if necessary but lets try to avoid this as we have at least 1 hour drive to the road end.
    So far, we have 7 confirmed, 3 almost confirmed.
    Please email by tomorrow end of day if you are keen as I need to sort transport for everybody.

Please feel free to contact me for any question.

desorder@gmail.com.

022 169 2007

•  09-06-2011, 11:35 AM 5948 in reply to 5947

Re: Tararua Day trip - 11/06

I'm coming :)

•  09-06-2011, 12:01 PM 5949 in reply to 5948

Is anyone keen for a bit of a Saturday night thing to celebrate the end of the trip?  Some drinks somewhere?

•  09-06-2011, 8:12 PM 5950 in reply to 5947

Cool, day trip to Tararuas is on...

The weather looks fine and we are going to cover plan B (Waiopehu loop).

Kapakapanui is too boring...

I would like to go to Mt Matthew but DOC closes the gate @6PM, and we should be out by 6, but I don't want to take chances and have the hassle of waiting someone to open the gate for us.

So, the plan is...

We meet @hunter's car park (you should know where it is at this point... :) ) around 8AM on Saturday, drive to the road end which will take around 1.5h. We are not stopping for shopping, so please, sort yourself tomorrow otherwise we will start too late.

We'll start walking as soon as we get there, around 10am at latest. We will do an anticlockwise loop, up to Waiopehu hut. It takes around 4 cruise hours to the hut and another 20-30 to the tops from the hut. From there, people that had enough can get back through the same way and the most adventurous ones can continue. It will be a full day, but nothing radical.

Don't forget some required equipment, read the original post above... =D

polyprop trousers, jersey, rain coat and torch are essential. Please let me know if you need something.

We should be back by 5PM with stops on the way back if needed. =D

We have 7 confirmed plus me. Please let me know asap if you come so I can sort transport for you too.

Please contact me for any question.

Cheers.

•  10-06-2011, 5:38 PM 5951 in reply to 5949

Carina and me are keen on something Saturday night before the studies continues Sunday ;o)

Maybe some of the others can be persuaded during the tramp or just after seeing this...

Craig do you text one of us so we know where to go?

- Pia

Gear custodian - 2012

022 074 2258
    p.skorstengaard@gmail.com
  •  10-06-2011, 6:58 PM 5952 in reply to 5951

That's the problem, we don't have a place to host this...

anyone???

•  10-06-2011, 10:28 PM 5953 in reply to 5952

Me. My flat is on Raroa Road, half the way up between Aro Valley and Kelburn.

My flat became now Keryn's flat, Karori, reachable with bus 3, Halt Karori Mall.

See you there.

Achim

Filed under:
View as RSS news feed in XML